RV Sites
Tent Sites


About Snug
About Delta

To Do

Historic Delta



After reviewing the whole website, please contact us
if you have additional
questions...we try to get
back to you within 24

Snug Harbor & Ryer Island History based on Recorded Documents & maps
     Over the last 12+ years, we've gathered the recorded and historical records that relate to the lands known as "Snug Harbor" now, but were referred to "Martin's Island" or other names in past documents.  From the time the Blake family purchased the island in 1872, to the time the Martin family allowed the state to put dredge soils at the north end of the island in the 1940's to make it a peninsula, to the surveys of the 1950's and 1960's when the land was officially divided into home parcels at the north end leaving the resort property for the southern half, the recorded documents are linked below. 
1852 US Navy map of this area of the Delta.  Refers to the waterway as "Middle Fork" and the island as "Hogsback Shoal".  (Not to be confused with the more receint Hogsback Park about 1.5 miles north of us)

1852 full size map link

1878 Land Patent to G.W. Blake
(Copy of land grant found at State Lands Commission Office, as the records had been pulled from the Solano County "Swamp and Overflow" records.)
PDF of Land Patent
PDF of map attached to land patent

PDF of Public Hearing assigning the road name and addresses



Pacific Historian1959_delta_history.pdf

1906 Official Survey of the Delta by the USGS.  This is just a small section of the whole survey
Here is a1935 Delta soils map, indicating the small strip of land is made up of Columbia Silty Clay Loam.  Cropped map shows the Snug Harbor land which still appears to be an island at this point, though its not clear because of the word "boundary" that was placed to indicate the boundary between Solano and Sacramento counties.  Click on each thumbnail to see full size data.

Agreement with Reclamation & other governmental agencies to put dredging soils from Steamboat Slough at the north end of the island to make it a peninsula, done as part of the Delta wide huge dredging projects between 1930's to 1950's.
Martin Family begins to parcel off some of the land to friends so that they can put up their own waterfront homes  
1959 Solano County grant of Use Permit for the "trailer park".  There may be earlier records of park use, as old photos and written descriptions indicate, but this is the oldest record current resort owner has a copy of  
1961 Recorded Survey of the whole peninsula which at this time starts being called "Snug Harbor" locally.  By this time there are more than 20 home parcels on the north half of the peninsula and the resort comprises the south half of the peninsula and the road leading to the resort.
1980 & 1984 Permit with USACE to dredge and remove approximately 2 acres of the resort land on Snug Cove side for the installation of the Covered Berths (1980) and to remove some of the soil from the Steamboat Slough side to tuck in the Golden Gate Dredge along the banks. (1984)  
1980 Designation of "No Wake Zone" shore to shore along the Snug Harbor Peninsula  
1985 Designation of the private road (owned by resort) named as "Snug Harbor Drive" and mail addresses are assigned to all the parcels along the road.


1998 Solano County Use Permit Renewal for resort.   
2008 Solano County Use Permit Renewal for resort establishes "permanent entitlement" of existing uses.  
2008 Solano County General Plan update changes the Snug Harbor peninsula from "Park" to "Commercial Recreation" (resort) and "Traditional Community" (home parcels).
  Snug Harbor Resorts, LLC
3356 Snug Harbor Drive, (& Port Lane, Starboard Lane and Marina View Circle are roads located within the resort grounds)
Ryer Island in Solano County.  near Rio Vista, CA
GPS:   Use Port Lane, Walnut Grove, CA  95690, even though we are located near Rio Vista, Solano County  
  California Delta's Snug Harbor!   Copyright @ 1997-2015